Abandoned Factory | Gary, Indiana

Gary, Indiana is about 25 miles (40 kilometres) from downtown Chicago. The city was founded in 1906 by the United States Steel Corporation as the home for the world’s largest steel plant, Gary Works. Its name came from lawyer Elbert Henry Gary, the founding chairman of the United States Steel Corporation. As with many cities of the Rust Belt, Gary’s rise and fall is reflective of the steel industry. Today, it is estimated that one-third of all homes in Gary are unoccupied and/or abandoned. Less than 80,000 people live in the city today, 55% less compared to 1960. While U.S. Steel remains a major steel producer, it employs a small number of workers compared to the past. The city faces large levels of unemployment, decaying infrastructure, and low literacy and educational attainment levels. (source)

 

 

View images from another abandoned building in Gary, Indiana by clicking the provided link.

 

 

 

 

All images were taken by and copyright Jason Humbracht | Indiana Architectural & Travel Photographer

Jason Humbracht | jhumbracht@gmail.com | 317 820 9010

    Subscribe to Blog via Email

    Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 229 other subscribers